Dotan's Revolutionary Kick-Up Rudder
For all Dinghies - Catamarans - Trimarans - Optimists
Welcome to Dotan's smart, innovative and unique kick-up rudder, perfectly suited to all sailboat classes, from 21-foot monohulls, catamarans and trimarans up to the smallest, including Optimist.
Why is Dotan's kick-up rudder smart, innovative and superior to other sailboat kick-up rudders?
The following features set Dotan's rudder in a class of its own:
Virtuoso Performance: Flick-of-the Wrist Magic
- Winner of the METS Design Award, Dotan rudder patent mechanism enables you to lift and to lower the blade with a simple flick of the wrist. After pushing off from shore, grab the tiller and flick your wrist up and down in a 1-2 action; the blade immediately drops down and locks in its vertical position. The Dotan rudder's wrist action takes a second to perform (Check out the Video Clip).
- When pushing off the catamaran from shore with the Dotan rudder, you're free to keep your eyes focused on what's up ahead of you. This can be critically important when you need to negotiate out of a crowded and cluttered harbor, or when you don't want a wave to hit you broadside. It can also save you money on repairs (!)
- When beaching your catamaran or dinghy, you don't need to do a thing; the rudder blade automatically kicks up as you hit the shore. Then push down on the tiller to set the blade in a fully horizontal position. To preserve the lower blade from abrasion that can occur when hitting the shore, it's recommended to lift the blade with a simple flick of the wrist before hitting the shore, then fixing the blade in the horizontal position.
- When racing with a non-Dotan rudder, your chance of winning can be spoiled if a plastic bag or piece of kelp wraps around your present sailboat rudder. With the Dotan rudder, you can instantly get rid of the hindrance by quickly lifting and lowering the tiller with a flick of the wrist and then immediately repeat the action. It takes a second, and the hindrance is gone. Your race will not be disrupted and your chances of winning will not be compromised credit to the smart Dotan rudder.
- Even when launching from a marina jetty or pier, a pre-installed Dotan kick-up rudder will enhance your sailing experiences because it enables you to make exciting excursions and beach on picturesque coasts or islands instead of restricting you to return to home base. Dotan's kick-up rudder enables you to go put to shore virtually anywhere.
- Say goodbye once and for all to ropes, elastic bands, sailor-unfriendly sailboat rudder systems. Say goodbye to manual, fly-nut, screw-in rudder systems and multi-step setting and lifting actions.
- When hitting underwater obstacles such as rocks, sandbanks, jellyfish, etc., the blade automatically kicks up. Lift and lower the tiller with a flick of your wrist and the blade immediately reverts to its vertical, functioning position.
Virtuoso Performance: State-of-the-Art Damper Technology
Your Dotan rudder will never vibrate and drone when sailing at speed under dynamic loadings. That's because Dotan's rudder system features state-of-the-art damper technology that smoothes wave impacts, amortizes overloads on the rudder and damps off all other hydrodynamic vibrations. How does the technology work? See Shock Absorber.
Rudder Box: Constructed of Non-Corrosive, Composite Materials
Incomparably strong and matchlessly durable, the Dotan rudder box was developed more a decade ago by Dotan Maritime Industries (after intensive, prolonged laboratory research) using non-corrosive, composite materials which make the Dotan rudder box steadier against dynamic loadings than aluminum boxes.
Inside the box, the minimalist 3-part (super-smart!) roller-lock-coulisse mechanism has been confirmed by authoritative sources (based on operational experience) to serve sailors with a minimum lifespan of 10 trouble-free years, without wear-and-tear.
Rudder Blade: Lighter, yet Durable
The Dotan rudder blade's manufacturing process with high pressure and thermal stress is more efficient than vacuum technologies many times over.
The Dotan rudder blade also differs from other sailboat blades in that it is structured with special developed anti-vibrator ribs and reinforcing longeron inside the blade. This atypical structure gives the blade extraordinary strength and totally eliminates vibration. The Dotan rudder blade is made of directed glass material1, ensuring high durability at small weight.
Blade Shape: NACA and STEINER Hydrodynamic Profile
The Dotan rudder blade's profile is designed on the basis of the NACA 0009 hydrodynamic profile (National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics)2 and the STEINER hydrodynamic profile. The Dotan rudder blade's shape minimizes wave and inductive resistance.
The proof of the pudding is usually in the eating. Test the Dotan rudder. You'll immediately be convinced of its important advantages and capabilities. Choose a rudder for your dinghy or catamaran from our Rudder Collection.
For a preview of the Dotan rudder in action, see the Short Video-Clip and Flick-of-the-Wrist Magic.
The Dotan rudder system is the best available rudder system for both experienced sailors and beginners. Sailors, skippers and yachtspersons worldwide are beginning to enjoy the benefits of Dotan's kick-up rudders on their catamarans and dinghies (See Global Acclaim).
Dinghy and catamaran sailors: Share your thoughts and opinions now in the Rudder Forum !
Inform others that a smart solution is now available, thanks to the revolutionary Dotan kick-up rudder!
1 Kevlar and carbon composites are available from Dotan according to customer specification. Dotan designs and produces rudders according to customer requirements based on particular catamaran or dinghy characteristics.
2 NACA is a division of NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration).